Florida shooting: FBI admits it failed to investigate Nikolas Cruz tipoff


The FBI admitted on Friday it failed to investigate a specific report in January that Nikolas Cruz could be plotting a school shooting. The agency said the tip should have been investigated thoroughly because it was a “potential threat to life”. Cruz was arrested on Wednesday and has since been charged with murdering 17 people at a high school this week. On 5 January, a tipster who was close to Cruz called the FBI and provided information about Cruz’s guns, desire to kill people, erratic behavior and disturbing social media posts. The FBI says the caller expressed concerns Cruz could attack a school.

Jeff Sessions, the US attorney general, issued a curt statement after the FBI admission saying that warnings signs had been missed with “tragic consequences”. He said: “We must do better.” Sessions said he had ordered a department of justice review of how the FBI and DOJ respond to indications of potential violence. The review would consult family members, mental health officials, school officials and local law enforcers, he said.(theguardian)…[+]