
Hong Kong - At least 128 people are now known to have died in a devastating fire that engulfed multiple high-rise buildings in Hong Kong.

Eight people have been arrested on suspicion of corruption over the renovation works the blocks had been undergoing before the fire. Three others were detained earlier on manslaughter charges. The cause of the fire remains unclear, though officials said that polystyrene and protective netting placed on the outside of the windows facilitated its spread. A further 79 people were injured in the blaze - the city's deadliest in more than 70 years. Dozens remain missing.
Police went into the buildings to start gathering evidence, after authorities said that an investigation would take place over the next three to four weeks. The Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) said that those arrested in the corruption probe on Friday included directors at an engineering company and scaffolding subcontractors. Some 2,311 firefighters worked to bring the fire under control after it spread across seven of Wang Fuk Court's eight apartment blocks. Firefighting efforts have now ceased. The fire was fully extinguished by 10:18 local time (02:18 GMT) on Friday, the fire department said at a news conference.
It also said 89 bodies have yet to be identified, and 16 bodies remain inside the buildings. Meanwhile, crowds have been gathering at a nearby community hall that has been opened to families looking for missing loved ones. Relatives are being asked to help with the identification process by bringing in family photos. The Hong Kong government has also set up shelters and support centres for displaced residents. Groups of volunteers have been packing and organizing supplies for those affected, including clothing and hygiene products. (BBC)

