Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

Iran holds state funeral for top commanders

IRAN – Tens of thousands of people have lined the streets in Iran’s capital, Tehran, as the country held a funeral service for military commanders, nuclear scientists and some civilians killed in Israeli attacks this month.

Times of Suriname

State TV showed footage of people donning black clothes, waving Iranian flags and holding pictures of some of the dead in the ceremony that started at 8am (04:30 GMT) on Saturday. Images from central Tehran showed coffins draped in Iranian flags and bearing portraits of the deceased commanders in uniform. Israel launched the assault on its main regional rival on June 13, killing several senior military and scientific officials, and bombarding military sites and nuclear facilities across the country. Iran responded with missile attacks on Israel.

 

The Israeli bombardment continued for 12 days, with key ally the United States joining the conflict to carry out strikes on three nuclear sites last weekend. In retaliation for the US attacks, Iran launched a wave of missiles at a US military base in Qatar. Both Israel and Iran claimed victory in the war that ended with a ceasefire on Tuesday, with Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei downplaying the US strikes, claiming Trump had “exaggerated events in unusual ways”, and rejecting US claims that Iran’s nuclear programme had been set back by decades.

 

The coffins of the Guard’s chief General Hossein Salami, the head of the Guard’s ballistic missile programme, General Amir Ali Hajizadeh, and others were driven on trucks along the capital’s Azadi Street as people in the crowds chanted: “Death to America” and “Death to Israel”. Salami and Hajizadeh were both killed on the first day of the war, which Israel said was meant to destroy Iran’s nuclear programme. Mohammad Bagheri, a major-general in Iran’s Revolutionary Guard, as well as top nuclear scientist Mohammad Mehdi Tehranchi were also killed in Israeli attacks.

 

Saturday’s ceremonies were the first public funerals for top commanders since the ceasefire, and Iranian state television reported that they were for 60 people in total, including four women and four children. (Aljazeera)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Buitenland

Trump demonstreert macht over Republikeinse Partij

VS - Tot de Amerikaanse tussentijdse verkiezingen op 3 november praat NU.nl je wekelijks bij over de laatste ontwikkelingen.

VOETBAL

Arbeloa bevestigt vertrek bij Real Madrid

Álvaro Arbeloa heeft zijn vertrek als trainer van Real Madrid bevestigd. De 43-jarige Spanjaard zit zaterdag voor het laatst op de bank bij 'De Koninklijke'.

Binnenland

Hoorzittingen voormalig ministers in DNA gestart

PARAMARIBO – In De Nationale Assemblee is vanmorgen de hoorzitting van drie voormalig ministers begonnen. Het gaat om oud-minister van Openbare Werken,...

Buitenland

US-bound plane diverts to Canada after person from Ebola-hit region boards 'in error'

US - A plane from Paris to Detroit was forced to divert to Canada after a passenger from the Ebola-hit Democratic Republic of Congo boarded the plane "in error", officials have said.

Buitenland

Twee jonge kinderen 'schreeuwend en huilend' achtergelaten langs Portugese weg

PORTUGAL - In het zuiden van Portugal zijn twee jonge kinderen alleen achtergelaten langs een afgelegen landweg. Ze zouden schreeuwend en huilend zijn aangetroffen.