Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

Prince Harry's downgraded security was unjustified, court hears

LONDON - The Duke of Sussex was "singled out for different, unjustified and inferior treatment" in a decision to downgrade the level of security he receives in the UK, the Court of Appeal has heard.

Times of Suriname

Prince Harry is making his latest legal challenge after the High Court upheld the decision that he should not be provided with the same level of police protection given to working members of the Royal Family.

His barrister Shaheed Fatima KC told the court Prince Harry had been subject to a "different and so-called bespoke process" in that original decision.

But the Home Office, opposing the appeal, argued that the judge "was right to find that it [downgrading the prince's security] was lawful".

The duke's security in the UK is currently decided on a case-by-case basis, the same way as the country's other high-profile visitors.

Prince Harry, who sat on Tuesday with a notepad and pen in the back row of the court, did not give evidence in the first part of the hearing - scheduled to last two days.

His case is challenging the way the Royal and VIP Executive Committee, known as Ravec, took the decision on his security arrangements after he stepped down from being a working royal in 2020.

He has previously said that the safety of his family, with whom he moved to California in 2020, was at the heart of the case.

"The UK is central to the heritage of my children," he told the High Court in December 2023, adding that he wanted them to feel at home here.

Because the Home Office has legal responsibility for Ravec's decisions, it is opposing the appeal on its behalf.

Ms Fatima told the court on Tuesday that Ravec had not followed its own standard procedures, because it chose to downgrade his security without having expert analysis of the risks he faced.

She also said the prince's case was not that he should "automatically be entitled to the same protection as he was previously given".

Rather, Ms Fatima said, his legal submissions argued that he should have been told how the decisions about his security were being made.

Sir James Eadie KC, representing the Home Office, said the move to consider Prince Harry's security in the UK on a case-by-case basis had been rightly taken. (BBC/Reuters)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Engels

Air France and Airbus found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 plane crash

PARIS - Air France and Airbus have been found guilty of manslaughter over a 2009 plane crash which killed 228 people. The Paris Appeals Court found the airline and aircraft manufacturer guilty...

Buitenland

Doden en gewonden bij instorting gebouw in Marokkaanse stad Fez

MOROKKO - In de Marokkaanse stad Fez zijn zeker elf mensen om het leven gekomen doordat een appartementencomplex instortte. Er raakten ook zes mensen gewond,...

VOETBAL

Chaos bij Liverpool

Wat zich momenteel afspeelt achter de schermen bij Liverpool lijkt steeds meer op een voetbalsoap van formaat. Nog geen jaar nadat Arne Slot als kampioen werd gevierd op Anfield,...

Gras- en vuilnisbranden gaan ongestoord door

Scherpe stijging aantal woningbranden

PARAMARIBO - De landelijke brandcijfers over de periode 2017 tot en met 2025 tonen een verontrustende stijging van woningbranden en natuurgerelateerde branden.

Engels

Ecuador rescues six foreign minors from Jewish sect

ECUADOR - Police in Ecuador rescued six foreign minors who were victims of a human trafficking network allegedly linked to the ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect Lev Tahor,...