PARAMARIBO – The national carrier, Surinam Airways (SLM), has once again hit turbulence due to the fact that the board of directors had suspended acting director Steven Gonesh.
Transport, Communications and Tourism (TCT) Minister Raymond Landveld and Vice President Gregory Rusland on Wednesday were confronted with the consequences of the board’s decision. The board reportedly took a U-turn on its decision due to operational risks. But the issue has exposed one painful fact and that is that executive mistakes and miscommunication keep steering the national carrier into a negative spiral.
Minister Landveld explained to the press that the board informed him it the decision but that the bylaws clearly state that the board does not need permission to suspend the acting director. “They informed me of their intentions,” said Minister Landveld who added that he had asked for the opportunity to inform President Jennifer Simons and Vice President Rusland so that the news would not catch them off guard. According to Minister Landveld, the board based its decision on alleged financial irregularities within the company's operations. The minister did not reveal any details but poi ted out that the board’s decision did not last long. During a meeting with the president it became clear that the absence of Gonesh would lead to technical and operational problems,especially given the fact that he holds four crucial positions. If he is not present, flights could come to a halt. Due to the mounting pressure the board felt compelled to delay the suspension. VP Rusland labeled the decision reckless as the board did not realize the crucial roles that Gonesh fulfills on a daily basis. “When you want to make such decisions, you must first consider all of the consequences,” said the VP. The exact reason for the suspension is still unclear but the VP explained that the board had reported that Gonesh had received payments which he was not entitled to. “We have heard one side of the story but we must listen to both sides,” said the VP who added that Gonesh had been acting CEO for the past three years but that he did not receive the allowance that is meant for acting directors. Sources explained that this lies at the center of the dispute. Meanwhile the Simons/ Rusland administration is working on installing a new board of directors at the SLM. The VP explained that this process should take about two weeks. The government has publicly urged people to apply for the position of chairman of the board of directors at the SLM. President Simons explained that this step was taken to make sure that political appointments at state companies becomes a thing of the past. Minister Landveld described it as a professional approach which also gives foreign experts the opportunity to apply for the job. It is still unclear who will become the new CEO at the SLM. The government wants to address that issue after the new board has been installed. The events of the past couple of days have chopped away at the fragile reputation of the national carrier. The SLM plays a crucial role in the Surinamese economy and international connectivity but is under tremendous pressure due to the financial deficits, management issues and international problems such as the blacklisting by the European Union. VP Rusland explained that the government must therefore proceed carefully as it must not cause any unnecessary noise. Minister Landveld and VP Rusland did not rule out the possibility that a thorough investigation would be launched at the SLM.