Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

US Supreme Court orders temporary halt to deportations

WASHINGTON DC – The United States Supreme Court has ordered a temporary halt on the deportation of two Venezuelan men using the antique wartime law...

Times of Suriname

invoked previously by the administration of President Donald Trump to send hundreds of people to El Salvador.

The country’s top court issued the order to pause the deportation of the men in immigration custody  on Saturday, after their lawyers filed an urgent petition citing an imminent risk of removal without due process. The ruling sets up the possibility of another challenge by the Trump administration to the power of the courts, and even a full-blown constitutional crisis.

“The Government is directed not to remove any member of the putative class of detainees from the United States until further order of this Court,” the justices wrote in an unsigned order. Two of the nine justices on the Supreme Court, conservatives Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito, dissented from the decision.

The court issued the ruling following an emergency appeal filed by the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), contending that immigration authorities appeared to be moving to restart removals under the Alien Enemies Act of 1798. Trump’s use of the wartime legislation, last used during World War II, to deport alleged members of Venezuela’s Tren de Aragua gang by claiming they are “conducting irregular warfare” in the US has prompted a vigorous debate over the constitution’s ability to rein in executive power.

The Supreme Court had said in April that deportations could proceed only if those about to be removed had a chance to argue their case in court and were given “a reasonable time” to contest their pending removals. “We are deeply relieved that the Court has temporarily blocked the removals. These individuals were in imminent danger of spending the rest of their lives in a brutal Salvadoran prison without ever having had any due process,” ACLU lawyer Lee Gelernt said in an email to The Associated Press. The White House has not yet commented on the ruling. (Aljazeera)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Engels

Air France and Airbus found guilty of manslaughter over 2009 plane crash

PARIS - Air France and Airbus have been found guilty of manslaughter over a 2009 plane crash which killed 228 people. The Paris Appeals Court found the airline and aircraft manufacturer guilty...

Buitenland

Doden en gewonden bij instorting gebouw in Marokkaanse stad Fez

MOROKKO - In de Marokkaanse stad Fez zijn zeker elf mensen om het leven gekomen doordat een appartementencomplex instortte. Er raakten ook zes mensen gewond,...

VOETBAL

Chaos bij Liverpool

Wat zich momenteel afspeelt achter de schermen bij Liverpool lijkt steeds meer op een voetbalsoap van formaat. Nog geen jaar nadat Arne Slot als kampioen werd gevierd op Anfield,...

Gras- en vuilnisbranden gaan ongestoord door

Scherpe stijging aantal woningbranden

PARAMARIBO - De landelijke brandcijfers over de periode 2017 tot en met 2025 tonen een verontrustende stijging van woningbranden en natuurgerelateerde branden.

Engels

Ecuador rescues six foreign minors from Jewish sect

ECUADOR - Police in Ecuador rescued six foreign minors who were victims of a human trafficking network allegedly linked to the ultra-Orthodox Jewish sect Lev Tahor,...