ENGLAND - The father of a four-year-old boy who died after being struck by a bus outside a hospital in Kent has paid tribute to his son, describing him as “always smiling and laughing.”
Zaahir Jan died following the crash outside Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Hospital in Margate around 16:00 BST on Thursday. Navid Feizi, Zaahir’s father, said his son was a “sweet and charming boy” who “always smiled, even when he was hurt.” He added that Zaahir had been visiting his grandmother in the hospital before the incident.
A memorial area has been set up near the hospital, where Zaahir’s mother and other relatives laid blankets, flowers, and sweets and wrote letters to him. Kent Police said the boy left the hospital on foot before the crash, was taken back inside, and was pronounced dead a short time later. His next of kin have been informed. Eye-witness Gillian Murphy, a hospital patient, said: “It was busy with cars, and the bus was having trouble getting through. Next thing I knew, he was under the bus.” Tracey Fletcher, chief executive of East Kent Hospitals NHS Trust, expressed sadness and offered condolences.
The bus involved was a white single-decker operated by Stagecoach. A spokesperson said the company is cooperating with the police investigation and providing support for the driver. A Kent County Council spokesperson said the council is deeply saddened and will assist with inquiries as needed. Police are appealing for witnesses or CCTV and dashcam footage of the incident. (BBC)