Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

Oscar-tipped Japanese MeToo film not shown in Japan

TOKYO - When Japanese journalist Shiori Ito decided to speak up about her rape allegations, she knew she would do so in the face of a society that prefers silence.

(BBC)

"I'm scared…but all I want to do is to talk about the truth," she says, in the opening scene of her Oscar-nominated documentary Black Box Diaries. Shiori became the face of Japan's MeToo movement after she accused a prominent journalist, Noriyuki Yamaguchi, of rape. He denies the charges.

Her acclaimed directorial debut, based on her memoir of the same name, is a retelling of her quest for justice, after authorities found insufficient evidence to pursue criminal charges. But there is one country where the documentary has still not been aired: Japan - where it has run into huge controversy. Shiori's former lawyers have accused her of including audio and video footage that she did not have permission to use, which, they maintain, has violated trust and put her sources at risk.

She defends what she did as necessary for "public good". It's a startling turn in a story that gripped Japan when it first broke. Then 28 years old, Shiori had chosen to ignore her family's request to remain silent about the alleged rape. And after her public accusation did not result in a criminal case, she filed a civil lawsuit against Mr Yamaguchi - and won $30,000 (£22,917) in damages. Shiori told the BBC making the film involved "re-living her trauma". "It took me four years [to make the film] because, emotionally, I was struggling."

She was an intern at Reuters news agency in 2015, when she claims Mr Yamaguchi invited her to discuss a job opportunity. At the time, he was the Washington bureau chief for a major Japanese media firm, Tokyo Broadcasting System. Shiori claims she was raped following a dinner in Tokyo with Mr Yamaguchi, who has always denied the allegations. CCTV footage of an intoxicated Shiori being dragged from a taxi and into a hotel forms part of the more than 400 hours of footage which she has edited for the documentary.

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Voetbal

De Zerbi wil niet veel kwijt over Romero

VOETBAL - Roberto De Zerbi heeft zich uitgesproken over Cristian Romero. De Argentijnse aanvoerder van Tottenham Hotspur staat met een blessure aan de kant en is er zondag tijdens de laatste speelronde van de Premier League niet bij.

Buitenland

Zeker 90 mijnwerkers omgekomen bij explosie in Chinese kolenmijn

SHANXI – In China zijn zeker 90 mijnwerkers om het leven gekomen als gevolg van een explosie in een kolenmijn. President Xi Jinping heeft een onderzoek bevolen naar de oorzaak en naar wie verantwoordelijk is voor de ramp.

Binnenland

20 jaar cel voor ‘Kwaiki’ na fatale woningoverval aan Pierpontweg

PARAMARIBO – De Kantonrechter heeft een zware straf opgelegd aan L.D., beter bekend als “Kwaiki”, voor zijn rol in een gewelddadige woningoverval aan de Pierpontweg die in april 2024...

Engels

US Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on 'pause' over Iran war

WASHINGTON - The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Buitenland

Arts kan ader niet vinden bij doodstraf in VS, man mag jaar langer leven

VS - In de Amerikaanse staat Tennessee is donderdag iets bizars gebeurd: een man die ter dood was veroordeeld, krijgt nog wat langer dan gedacht.