Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

US Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on 'pause' over Iran war

WASHINGTON - The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Times of Suriname

Asked at a congressional hearing about the stalled $14 billion weapons purchase by Taiwan, acting secretary Hung Cao said that "right now we're doing a pause in order to make sure we have the munitions we need for Epic Fury -- which we have plenty." "But, we're just making sure we have everything, then the foreign military sales will continue when the administration deems necessary." The US State Department and the Pentagon did not immediately respond to requests for comment on Cao's remarks. Taiwan's Presidential Office spokeswoman Karen Kuo said Friday there was "no information indicating that the US intends to make any adjustments to this arms sale." US President Donald Trump has not committed to following through with the sale, raising concerns over his commitment to support for Taiwan, which China claims as its own territory. Ahead of his recent state visit to China, Trump said he would speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the arms sales, a departure from Washington's previous insistence that it will not consult Beijing on the matter. Afterward, he said he had made no commitments to Xi about Taiwan and would be making a determination on the arms sales "over the next fairly short period of time." The United States recognizes only Beijing, but under US law is required to provide weapons to the self-ruled democracy for its defense. China has sworn to take the island and has not ruled out using force, ramping up military pressure in recent years. (Bssnews)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Binnenland

20 jaar cel voor ‘Kwaiki’ na fatale woningoverval aan Pierpontweg

PARAMARIBO – De Kantonrechter heeft een zware straf opgelegd aan L.D., beter bekend als “Kwaiki”, voor zijn rol in een gewelddadige woningoverval aan de Pierpontweg die in april 2024...

Buitenland

Arts kan ader niet vinden bij doodstraf in VS, man mag jaar langer leven

VS - In de Amerikaanse staat Tennessee is donderdag iets bizars gebeurd: een man die ter dood was veroordeeld, krijgt nog wat langer dan gedacht.

Meerdere machines ingezet

Grootschalige waterafvoeroperatie gaande te Rahemal Buiten

PARAMARIBO - Te Rahemal Buiten is momenteel na jarenlange verwaarlozing, een omvangrijke operatie gestart om het gebied van wateroverlast te ontdoen. Met zware machines,...

Engels

Ebola risk upgraded to 'very high' in DR Congo

CONGO - The public health risk from the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has been upgraded from high to very high, the World Health Organization said on Friday.