Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

They do not teach us what we need

AFGHANISTAN - “I want” – the girl stops herself – “I wanted to be a doctor in the future. But when the Taliban came to Afghanistan, all the doors of schools were closed.”

Times of Suriname

Inside the Taliban-approved Naji-e-Bashra madrasa – a girls-only religious school on the outskirts of Kabul – a teenage girl wearing a full face covering speaks nervously. Her classmate grabs her arm beneath the table, aware that any criticism of the ruling Taliban government is ill-advised. Imperfect though these religious institutions are, they are the only option for most Afghan girls over the age of 12 who want any education. Afghanistan remains the only country in the world that prohibits girls and women from getting general education at secondary and higher levels. The ban is part of a wide-ranging crackdown on women’s rights by the Taliban since they swept to power in August 2021. The government dictates how women must dress, where they can and cannot go, and with whom they must go – for example, that they must have a male guardian with them for travel. In July this year, the International Criminal Court sought arrest warrants for two of the top Taliban leaders, citing the persecution of women and girls as evidence of crimes against humanity. The Taliban denounced the court as showing “enmity and hatred for the pure religion of Islam.”

The Taliban had originally stated that the suspension of female education would be temporary, and some leaders said that they wanted mainstream schools to reopen once security issues were resolved. But four years on, the fundamentalist wing of the Taliban seems to be winning. Non-religious schools, universities and even healthcare training centers remain closed off to half the population. According to a report published in March by UNESCO, a United Nations agency, nearly 1.5 million girls have been prohibited from attending secondary school since 2021. (CNN)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Voetbal

De Zerbi wil niet veel kwijt over Romero

VOETBAL - Roberto De Zerbi heeft zich uitgesproken over Cristian Romero. De Argentijnse aanvoerder van Tottenham Hotspur staat met een blessure aan de kant en is er zondag tijdens de laatste speelronde van de Premier League niet bij.

Buitenland

Zeker 90 mijnwerkers omgekomen bij explosie in Chinese kolenmijn

SHANXI – In China zijn zeker 90 mijnwerkers om het leven gekomen als gevolg van een explosie in een kolenmijn. President Xi Jinping heeft een onderzoek bevolen naar de oorzaak en naar wie verantwoordelijk is voor de ramp.

Binnenland

20 jaar cel voor ‘Kwaiki’ na fatale woningoverval aan Pierpontweg

PARAMARIBO – De Kantonrechter heeft een zware straf opgelegd aan L.D., beter bekend als “Kwaiki”, voor zijn rol in een gewelddadige woningoverval aan de Pierpontweg die in april 2024...

Engels

US Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on 'pause' over Iran war

WASHINGTON - The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Buitenland

Arts kan ader niet vinden bij doodstraf in VS, man mag jaar langer leven

VS - In de Amerikaanse staat Tennessee is donderdag iets bizars gebeurd: een man die ter dood was veroordeeld, krijgt nog wat langer dan gedacht.