Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

Thousands of Palestinians flee as Israeli troops push into Gaza City

GAZA - Thousands of Palestinians are continuing to flee Gaza City, as Israel's major ground offensive aimed at occupying the area enters a second day.

Times of Suriname

Amid large-scale bombardment overnight, Gaza's Hamas-run health ministry said al-Rantisi children's hospital was targeted in three separate Israeli attacks, forcing half of its patients and their families to flee. The Israeli military said it was looking into the report. Other hospitals said at least 35 people had been killed by Israeli fire across Gaza so far on Wednesday, most of them in the north. Earlier, the Israeli military announced that it had struck more than 150 targets across Gaza City in two days in support of its ground forces.

Israel says its aim is to free its hostages and defeat up to 3,000 Hamas fighters in what it describes as the group's "last stronghold", but the offensive has drawn widespread international condemnation. The leaders of more than 20 major aid agencies, including Save the Children and Oxfam, warned that "the inhumanity of the situation in Gaza is unconscionable". With world leaders due to gather for the UN General Assembly next week, they called for "urgent intervention". A source at al-Rantisi hospital said there were no injuries but that air conditioning units, water tanks and solar panels were severely damaged. The hospital is "the only specialist facility for children with cancer, kidney failure, and other life-threatening conditions", according to Fikr Shalltoot, Gaza director of the NGO Medical Aid for Palestinians.

For days - as Israel has ramped up strikes in and around Gaza City - huge columns of Palestinians have streamed southwards in donkey carts, rickshaws, vehicles strapped high with belongings, and on foot. Until now, they have been forced to flee down the main coastal road to an Israel-designated "humanitarian area" in al-Mawasi. (BBC)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Voetbal

De Zerbi wil niet veel kwijt over Romero

VOETBAL - Roberto De Zerbi heeft zich uitgesproken over Cristian Romero. De Argentijnse aanvoerder van Tottenham Hotspur staat met een blessure aan de kant en is er zondag tijdens de laatste speelronde van de Premier League niet bij.

Buitenland

Zeker 90 mijnwerkers omgekomen bij explosie in Chinese kolenmijn

SHANXI – In China zijn zeker 90 mijnwerkers om het leven gekomen als gevolg van een explosie in een kolenmijn. President Xi Jinping heeft een onderzoek bevolen naar de oorzaak en naar wie verantwoordelijk is voor de ramp.

Binnenland

20 jaar cel voor ‘Kwaiki’ na fatale woningoverval aan Pierpontweg

PARAMARIBO – De Kantonrechter heeft een zware straf opgelegd aan L.D., beter bekend als “Kwaiki”, voor zijn rol in een gewelddadige woningoverval aan de Pierpontweg die in april 2024...

Engels

US Navy official says Taiwan arms sales on 'pause' over Iran war

WASHINGTON - The acting US Navy secretary said Thursday that arms sales to Taiwan had been put on "pause" to ensure that the American military had sufficient munitions for its Iran operations.

Buitenland

Arts kan ader niet vinden bij doodstraf in VS, man mag jaar langer leven

VS - In de Amerikaanse staat Tennessee is donderdag iets bizars gebeurd: een man die ter dood was veroordeeld, krijgt nog wat langer dan gedacht.

Thousands of Palestinians flee as Israeli troops push into Gaza City