Times of Suriname Logo
Times of Suriname Logo

Engels

Gaza flotilla activists allege abuse by Israeli forces while detained

GAZA – Pro-Palestinian activists deported after their Gaza-bound aid flotilla was intercepted in international waters by Israeli forces have alleged they were subjected to abuse while held in detention.

Times of Suriname

Canada said it had received information detailing "appalling abuse" of its citizens, while Germany and Spain confirmed that a number of their citizens had injuries.

The flotilla's organisers alleged there were "at least 15 cases of sexual assaults" while other people who were detained said they were beaten and mistreated. The BBC has not been able to independently verify the allegations. Israel's prison service has dismissed them as false, saying all detainees were "held in accordance with the law". The Israeli military similarly rejected the allegations, telling the BBC that its orders "require respectful and appropriate treatment of flotilla participants".

More than 50 boats in the Global Sumud Flotilla  set sail from Turkey last week, planning to breach Israel's maritime blockade of Gaza and deliver food and medical aid. Israel's government dismissed the action as a "PR stunt" serving the Palestinian armed group Hamas, and ordered commandos to board the boats west of Cyprus on Monday and Tuesday. The detained activists were transferred to Israeli vessels and taken to an Israeli prison after arriving at the port of Ashdod. On Thursday, 422 people from 41 countries were deported by Israel. Many have since arrived home.

Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand said on Friday that she had "received information from my officials which details the appalling abuse of Canadians who were detained in Israel", without giving further details. She added: "Canada unequivocally condemns the grave mistreatment of Canadians in Israel. Those responsible for this egregious abuse must be held accountable". A spokesperson for Germany's foreign ministry said its consular officials had met German activists on arrival in Istanbul on Thursday and reported that a number were injured.

Humane treatment of German nationals was an "absolute priority", they added. "We naturally expect a full explanation, as some of the allegations that have been made are serious". Spanish Foreign Minister José Manuel Albares told reporters that four of the 44 Spanish activists had received medical treatment for injuries. Organisers of the Global Sumud Flotilla also said on Friday: "At least 15 cases of sexual assaults, including rape. Shot with rubber bullets at close range. Tens of people's bones are  broken".

Israel's prison service said in a statement that various allegations were "false and entirely without factual basis". "All prisoners and detainees are held in accordance with the law, with full regard for their basic rights and under the supervision of professional and trained prison staff," it said. "Medical care is provided according to professional medical judgment and in accordance with ministry of health guidelines". The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said: "IDF orders require respectful and appropriate treatment of flotilla participants on the intercepted vessels, and there are clear and established procedures in this regard. (BBC)

Gerelateerde Artikelen

Binnenland

Overheidsschulden en tekorten blijven dreiging vormen

PARAMARIBO – Hoewel Suriname op papier verdere economische stabilisatie laat zien, blijven de onderliggende financiële risico’s groot. Dat blijkt uit het meest recente bulletin van het Suriname Economic Oversight Board...

Engels

French pair held until trial after boys abandoned by road in Portugal

PARIS – A French woman and her partner will remain in custody after allegedly abandoning her two young boys on a roadside in the south of Portugal, a court has ruled.

Buitenland

Rechter VS wijst smokkelzaak tegen Abrego Garcia af

NEW YORK – Een federale rechter in de VS heeft de mensensmokkel zaak verworpen tegen de vorig jaar onterecht uitgezette Kilmar Abrego Garcia.

Binnenland

Simons wil economie niet “schudden” tijdens overgangsjaren

PARAMARIBO – De regering kiest bewust voor een voorzichtige economische koers om verdere schokken voor burgers en bedrijven te voorkomen. Dat heeft president Jennifer Simons benadrukt tijdens een uitgebreide...